Search This Blog

Thursday 3 February 2011

CNY - Day 1

Everyone seems very tired because we only woke up about 10:30am. Though awake but we were still doing some last min housekeeping, setting up decoration and even prepare the angpow (red packets). It's a bit rush but the whole family is enjoying the moment very much. Before we go out for visitation, I called upon the kids gather near me in the living room. I would call each of them, giving them advises like what's my observation, how they should improve this year, what was their wrong doings and how they should eliminate them this year. I did this every year before handing over the angpow to them. Not because I wanted to act like a father but I find this is a good opportunity to talk with them while enjoying the CNY tradition.

First stop was at my Big Aunt's place at Cheras where it was 'self declared' the main gathering spot after my grandparents passed away few years ago. This family always try to act kind and generous but never realise they often show off with their wealth and how capable were his kids where mostly went living abroad. Even the parents being discipline with Buddhist practices, eat vegetarian but that's all just for 'packaging'. I know this may sound harsh and how bias am I but this is publicly admitted even by their sibblings. To me, I'm ok with them and generally nice to chat with them but don't know why suddenly I wish to express it out.

Next stop will be my Big Uncle were this family also another weird one because they hardly interact with any of the family members and always show that they are the eldest and all us will need to beg them or visit them for almost any occasion. If one day they call any of the family members, then they will have to buy lottery or think carefully if my Big Uncle need help/favour from them.

3rd stop will be my grandma and mother side. I feel bad for that because it was already 3+pm but I've no choice because for every festive seasons, I will need to rush for at least 3 places, my dad, my in law and my mother. Even now, my kids are already getting used to it. This place used to be my happiest place to visit during CNY but when I grew older, the more things that I know, not to mention the changes since my late grandpa passed away 13 years ago. Most aunties will just stay for a while, same goes to my uncle. Their kids are all grown up and hardly stop by too. I can still remember those days, all aunties and uncles will stay in the house chit chatting and most importantly play some cards. As for kids like me and other cousin, we would play the cards as well or went down to play fire crackers and catch some lion dance performance. I guess, I will never able to find that anymore.

About 4pm, my last stop to my in law's place. Although they only have few members but this will be the most calm & quiet place for me because no one is fake or try to ask some private/sensitive questions. This family never ask things from me and my in law also help me a lot during my hard times. So whenever she ask or need anything from me, I never hesitate to offer my service. I feel pity for her because of her useless drug addict brother but other than that, she's quite happy go lucky person because she will hang around the wet market to meet up some friends or hang around those supermarket for cheap/good food. I think she would rather stay in Pudu for the rest of her life because she will be bore if were to move with me because she was born and lived in Pudu for her whole life. Most Chinese people have moved out of Pudu but still there are still some just like my in law too (not to mention those poor and no one to depend on old folks)

We went home after the dinner so that we can get some rest and spend some quality time together but I received my younger aunt call asking for some reunion gathering at her house, just like every year. For this aunt, I won't feel hesitation because I'm quite close with them especially her husband as we're IT savvy and I'm the only person in my whole family can click with him. Also their kids also quite close to us and my kids also like to play with them. Apart of that, most of my uncles and aunts will be there too for another round of gathering. Just like previous year, we also initiate another web meeting with my 4th aunt at Sydney. This aunt really a very good example for me and to remind me whenever I wish to consider migrate/move to another countries.

When she was still young, she always wanted to work and live in AU, even when she was divorced. After few years, she manage to migrate to Sydney with her kids and I thought it will be a good choice for her. Not long after, I got to know she often jobless and just manage to get part time job there and she will need to survive 2 kids. Luckily they can get some allowance from their government and the elder daughter excel in studies and manage to get scholarship. But when the kids started to get more mature, they often have argument with their mom just like other teenagers. Their household require more financial support but with the mother income is very unstable, they often live in tough times. Luckily all my other aunts helped her sometimes but is it worth it to migrate?

Even for now, I'm working at SG but I will still prefer to stay in KL. Maybe I'm consider old or too late to migrate. If I'm still young or a teenager, I think I would love to migrate or stay abroad. Even if my kids in the future want to stay abroad, I guess I will have no choice but hope they can success with their own decision. The gathering is very fruitful and fun for the kids too because they played until 2am! We finally reach home around 2:30am and most of us were half dead tired :p

Hopefully, tomorrow will not as 'high' as today ...

No comments: